I found this list of plants that could and probably should be incorporated into the prepping lifestyle:
Decorate the home with plants that will give back as natural air purifiers, removing 90 percent of the chemicals in the air in under 24 hours.
– Aloe Vera is known to remove formaldehyde from the air. It is also known to be natural first aid for burns.
– Baby Rubber Plants clean the air by emitting high oxygen content, and purifies indoor air by removing chemicals and toxins.
– Boston Ferns are at the top of the list for air purifying. They act as a natural air humidifier and remove formaldehyde as well as being a general air purifier.
– Corn Cane and Mass Cane remove formaldehyde and clean the air.
– English Ivy removes the chemical benzene, the carcinogen found in cigarette smoke, detergents, pesticides, and the off-gassing of other synthetic materials.
– Gerbera Daisies will help you sleep by absorbing carbon dioxide and giving off oxygen. NASA has stated that this plant removes benzene, a known cancer-causing chemical.
– Golden Pothos and Spider Plants are in NASA’s top 3 types of houseplants great for removing formaldehyde. This plant removes carbon monoxide and increases general indoor air quality.
– Lady Palm removes most air pollutants.
– Kimberly Queen Fern and Dragon Tree removes formaldehyde, xylene (found in varnishes, paints and paint thinners) and trichloroethylene (found in solvents) from the air.
– Moth Orchids remove VOCs (volatile organic compounds) and formaldehyde commonly off-gassed from paints, solvents and other synthetic materials.
– Mums remove benzene, trichloroethylene (found in solvents and cleaners), formaldehyde and ammonia.
– Peace Lilies remove benzene, mold spores in the air, purifying the air of trichloroethylene, and removing alcohols, acetone, and formaldehyde.
– Snake Plants absorb toxins, such as nitrogen oxides and formaldehyde.
– Umbrella Trees remove benzene from the air.
– Warneckii removes trichloroethylene and benzene.
– Ficus Tree removes common airborne toxins and increase oxygen levels.